|Me swimming?? through "the gut" Nubble Light 2.4 mile swim 2010|
This post is not going to be all about a silly little swim that ended me flat on my back last year in an ambulance that was transformed into a heat blasting mini dry sauna for me. No sirree.
I will only talk about this briefly in a more positive, attainable 2011 goal fashion.
Here we go.
1. I will show up this year on race morning fully loaded with respect for the gnarly Maine ocean and will not skip around on the beach giggling and buzzing like a social moth sporting a sleeveless wetsuit and one lame swim cap, dehydrated and clueless.
2. I will hydrate properly starting 36 hours prior to the start along with a sufficient carbo loading intake 18 hours before intended ocean adventure.
|Fort Foster, Kittery Maine "Practice" swim, July 3th with Andrew my 19 year old nephew|
|Last year.. me!|
4. I will not waste an ounce of energy thinking about sharks eating me. The potential for 48 degree water will knock the shark snapping worries right out of my head.
5. I will have come prepared doing a total of 3 cold water swims without a wetsuit to acclimate my frame to the Maine coastal waters. My last polar like dip being at a state park in Maine over the 4th of July weekend where people (freakier than I) were picnicking in the rain with FREE entertainment watching the crazy girl in the icy water while they munched on hot dogs and Doritos.
|Planning my practice swim|
6. I will not miss the post race bbq as I did last year by spending the afternoon de-icing and shuffling back home with my tail between my legs moping and grumbling that Mother Nature drop kicked me and spit me out of the ocean laughing and yelling "DON'T COME BACK!"
Screw you lady. I'm back and I'm coming back to do this the way I should have done it.
So I lied. This post was all about a silly ocean swim in the waters of Maine on a hot day in July 2010 and how I shall (try) and redeem myself on another hot July day 2011.
|Kiss this Mother Nature... I'm BACK.|
Shark free of course...