Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Longhorn and Margaret Reflections


Today marks the one year anniversary of Margaret's death and as I sit here and reflect on this, it seems quite trivial and self centered that I've been obsessing and feeling sorry for myself over the last 48 hours about my lack of prerace calories and how many Cliff Blok squares I consumed or rather didn't that allowed me to ruin my own race. Simply put, I lack the respect and attention proper fueling deserves and it bit me in the ass on Sunday and most likely my last 1/2 iron race in September for that matter.
This is a sport, a hobby, a choice and a privilege. Margaret will always be there to remind me of this and I am so very thankful she occasionally slaps me back to the here and now and gently points out what really matters.

Austin was spectacular. I just loved it there. Thank you Amanda for your recommendations! I tried to hit every place you mentioned but sadly I wasn't there LONG ENOUGH! The food was great. Gawd, I love authentic Tex Mex!! The weather beautiful, my accommodations top notch and Keith Jordan and the Endorfuns crew per usual, put their heart and soul into that race. Many many thanks to all of them and the droves of volunteers that helped make our day a memorable one.

Jennifer Harrison:
I owe you a kidney for taking the time and going through my day and deciphering my self destructing fueling issues. YOU ARE THE BEST!

I am looking forward to 2010. I truly feel good things in store and really, I'm not just spewing out poop here.

You wait and see.....

I like this quote my friend and fellow team mate Maggie sent me this week:

Shoot for the moon and if you miss, you'll be among the stars.

4 comments:

GetBackJoJo said...

You may have messed up your fueling, but you LOOK really good. How the hell did you get Zipp wheels in Pink?
Give us more details of the race and weekend!
I'm glad Margaret can give you that gift of remembering what is important.

Rebecca DeWire said...

Regardless of how your race went, what an awesome looking race photo! You are by far the most stylish triathlete that I know.

I really appreciate you mentioning Margaret and the reminder of how precious life is.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Damn, you are so cute in that pic, E! :)) My pleasure! And, the reminder of Margaret was VERY nice. Thanks.... GOOD luck!

GoBigGreen said...

You should be proud of yourself for getting out there. Sometimes things happen and we are reminded how lucky and blessed we are to even be out in the fresh air doing what we love. I am sure Margaret was smiling down at you during the race...or maybe she was tossing you gels from heaven:)